I was SO hoping that I would be sharing our mudroom makeover with you this week, but after two weekends of scouring every antique shop and flea market in the area, I have yet to find the right pieces that will finish out the wall decor. Its the one down side to shopping secondhand- the patience to wait it out for that perfect piece to come along! While the walls may not yet be ready to share, I do have one little section of the space that I’m sharing today and that is the repurposed bench made from a vintage sled.
A few months ago at an estate sale I picked up this vintage toboggan for $7– the people running the sale thought I was nuts for wanting to buy it, as it did have some damage at the top, curved edge as you can see in the photo. I knew the damaged portion would be hidden in the corner of the space, and it wouldn’t affect the functionality of the sled as a bench, so I hauled it home, excited to get started on its transformation.
The first step was to remove the plastic cushion and polyester ropes that were attached along the side.
Next up was a good sanding. My original plan was to sand it back completely and re-stain, but as I started sanding I realized the distressed finish looked much better. I love how the two tones maintain that weathered, vintage look.
The sled was just a shade too long for our mudroom space so I had my hubby cut about 6 inches off the bottom edge of the sled.
The wood slats of the sled are so thin that I needed to add supports before attaching legs. I used 1 foot x 6 foot common board that we had left over from another project. I measured and cut the common board to fit flush between the support slats of the sled.
Once the supports were cut I stained to match the sled as closely as possible.
Once the supports were dry, I clamped them to the sled and drilled into place with black screws. Using the black screws makes them much less visible on the top side of the sled.
With supports in place, I then added the hairpin legs, which I found here on Amazon.
Once the legs were attached and I set it up in the mudroom, I realized that while the sides were sturdy, the middle was too thin and weak to hold any amount of weight. I took another piece of leftover common board and created one long support beam across the center of the sled on the underside.
With the middle support stained and screwed in place, the sled was much more sturdy, and capable of actually holding weight. The last step was to give the sled a coat of Feed-N-Wax sealer, which gave it a nice shine and ensures the wood won’t dry out over time.
I’m loving how this little bench livened up our space, and serves a purpose as well. It takes up much less space than the previous mudroom bench, and still gives us a place to take shoes on and off when coming into the house.
Now I’m off to find those finishing pieces for the walls- wish me luck in my search!